California Department of Public Health’s Statement on Mold

0

Photo by Schnaible

CDPH has updated its “Statement on Building Dampness, Mold, and Health,” (2011) to say:

  • CDPH has concluded that the presence of water damage, dampness, visible mold, or mold odor in schools, workplaces, residences, and other indoor environments is unhealthy.
  • They recommend against measuring indoor microorganisms or using the presence of specific microorganisms to determine the level of health hazard or the need for urgent remediation.  Rather the CDPH strongly recommends addressing the mold problem quickly by
    • Correcting the cause of the moisture causing the mold to grow.
    • Rapidly drying and or removing the wet building materials.
    • Cleaning or removing the mold and moldy materials as rapidly and safely as possible to protect the health and well-being of the occupants, especially children.

CDPH’s position is based on the current consensus among scientists and medical experts that:

  • Visible water damage, damp materials, visible mold, and mold odor indicate an increased risk of respiratory disease.
  • The traditional methods used to measure mold exposure do not reliably predict health risks.
  • The differentiation of some molds as “toxic molds” that are especially hazardous to healthy individuals is not justified by available evidence.
  • The most important steps in dealing with indoor dampness or mold are to identify the source of moisture and take the necessary steps to make repairs to stop them, dry or remove damp materials, and clean or remove moldy materials.

 

Reference: cdph.ca.gov/programs/IAQ/Pages/IndoorMold.aspx

Share.

Leave A Reply