Photo by Audrey
- Health effects associated with mold exposure include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints. A common side effect is also a headache and cold or flu like symptoms.
- Mold is in the air we breath. There is not way to eliminate it from the indoors. The way to control the mold growth is by controlling the moisture allowing the mold to grow.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Repair all causes of excess moisture on the property.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation especially in newer homes
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- Make sure all building materials effected by excess moisture or flooding are cleaned up and dried out within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, will need to be replaced.
- Reduce condensation by sealing the structure with proper insulation, caulking, and new windows.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem such as near a water fountain, shower, sink, etc.
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on any organic material such paper, wood, carpet, fabric etc., providing moisture is present.